The whole page is based on our limited yet enthusiastic ('good enough'
, my father would say!) experience and I chose to start with this step by step introduction to gardening because I expect you are looking to get started. I don't expect experienced gardeners to be reading this section. But I hope this section is simple enough to inspire you to have a go.
- Decide on which vegetable you like and would like to grow.
- Work out the basic needs of the plant: full sun or not, rich soil or not, etc.
Go to the local supplier of punnets where you intend to buy and read the information on the supplied label of the plant you intend to buy. You could read a book or look online but it just may be a different variety. So for the beginners, keep it simple and get informed about the plant you intend to buy - provided they always get the same varieties in store.
- Choose a spot in your garden which you think is most suited to the plant including with easy access to water.
- Acquire a shovel (2nd hand is just fine) and Prepare the soil as per instructions.
- Once the appropriate season comes for this plant, buy the punnet and transplant as per instructions.
- Most plants will enjoy a little boost of seaweed-based product at transplant.
- Then Observe and Water only if required. Check the moisture in the soil. Fertilise when required. Observe any change or pest which may require to take action. Refer to your gardening publication if in doubt.
>> check Publications
- Harvest, Prepare, Eat and Preserve the excess, or Share it with your friends. Enjoy!